Thursday 10 October 2013

Follow the American Dream where ever you are, Oprah is Leading


Follow the American Dream

It does say something about a country that can generate one of the world richest women such as Oprah Winfrey, this does make America truly a land of opportunity. Give merit where it is due, she has become most admirable especially so for philanthropic ideas and realties.

Since I was brought up in the United Kingdom and have mostly been comfortable by earning enough money to buy food and pay for my boarding, just about. I believed that I had made it. The most powerful thing that I had was my various job titles one of them was “Principle Research and Community Development Officer”, I was so proud. I would ride my bicycle through the local market to work every morning and try to go to evening classes to better myself at night.

I did not exactly look down on the market workers, but they were different for them every person was a potential customer and there was good days and bad days, for me every person was a statistic and I had to sit at my desk all day and come up with more ideas to develop the community at the behest of the politicians, My working life was set and any way I tried to change it I would be reprimanded severely.

” My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.”           Oprah Winfrey

Now of course, I recognise what it means to take responsibility for my life as I forge ahead on the entrepreneurial trail. I don’t know of anyone like Oprah, in the UK if there was any one, they would have been given a Knighthood or Some such title or the equivalent so we could identify their membership to a meritocracy. However Oprah does not seem to be someone from a meritocratic upbringing

” I don't think of myself as a poor, deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who from an early age knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good.”         Oprah Winfrey

This self responsibility seems to be absent in the general population of the UK, we are mostly looking to someone to help us. We have been educated to serve the firm; which used to give us a living wage and job satisfaction. I had this for a while and I was euphoric with a wage at the end of the month. The first time I heard the term “I want to be an entrepreneur” was from my son, I who had a steady government job did not know if I should, laugh or cry.


Anyway the point of my realisation is to inform you all that: Use your instincts, now is the time; to set out our stalls at the market with freedom of spirit and hunger to succeed, is your birthright.

No comments:

Post a Comment